Thursday, July 22, 2010

Love: Letter Writing


I know letter writing is a dying art, but I really appreciate the effort it takes and the thought put into a well written letter to friend or lover. Everyone should have the experience of letter writing a distant friend. I think it's the nostalgic nature of it is what draws me in, but it could also be the romance factor that is usually associated with them.



My writing utensil of choice is a pen or a typewriter. BUT...if I had to use something else, I'd like to use this Enamored Pencil Set from Paper Pastries.



I know a lot of people don't like writing letters. Maybe its because they don't know what to say? If that's the case, there are numerous websites with pre-written messages for you to hand-write yourself. Arteriole on Etsy also offers a hand-written letter service. She can write it in the Art Noveau style (pictured above) or any style you want. She also gives you your choice of font, ink, and illustration, and the envelope will be sealed with red wax!


While I was working at the Tweed Museum in Duluth, MN, I came across a bunch of Telegram correspondance from Mr. Tweed and his art dealers. Usually they said things like, "Dear Mr. Tweed The Millet has been sent Expect arrival in one week We are grateful for your continued business ".

Below are some telegrams I found that I thought were worth sharing.



This one makes me laugh. I'm sure whoever originally read it was excited to kill the fatted calf.



I wish we still had a way of sending telegrams. I guess text messaging is a comparable form of communication. You can only say so much in a small amount of text. Detail is no longer important, so long as the message comes across correctly.




I hope everyone finds some time to write a thoughtful letter to a friend this weekend! See you Monday!

1 comment: